I enjoy teaching yoga because it has been extremely healing in my own life. I want to inspire and guide others to explore what yoga can do for them.
My name is Ray (Reena Sathiakumar) and I am a certified Private Yoga Teacher based in Cork city. I was born in India and moved to South Africa when I was eighteen. I came to Ireland in 2009 and fell in love with beautiful Cork; which I now call home. From an early age I have had a huge interest in self-discovery and holistic personal development. I was first exposed to yoga in my late teens through my grandfather who had his own home practice. Since then, I have explored various forms of dance, movement, yoga, meditation and holistic healing therapies.
I committed to yoga as a way to practice self-care when I was diagnosed with colitis and fibromyalgia. Healing did not come overnight but my practice hugely helped in managing the stress and restoring optimism, hope and purpose to my life. Yoga has helped me appreciate my body, calm my mind and connect to my spirituality. One of the greatest things I can say yoga has taught me in this journey towards good health is self-acceptance and compassion. I believe with consistent practice, Yoga can heal and liberate. I love my work and am constantly fascinated by the transforming and healing effects of yoga. I look forward to consciously growing through this practice while sharing this gift with others.
I hold an International Yoga Alliance Certification and travel to India once every year to deepen my practice. I am also committed to regular personal therapy for my own growth and development as I believe this helps me offer you my best.
I teach from the heart with the intention of bringing the body back into balance through understanding one’s body awareness.
- Francesca Cervero Yoga and Wellness, New York – The Science of the Private Lesson Teacher Training
- Flatstone Institute, Cork, Ireland – Steps on my journey, a 1 year group personal development program.
- The Art of Living Foundation, Bangalore, India – Personal development and Sri Sri Yoga
- Yoga Jeevana Kendra, Bangalore, India – Kundalini Yoga.
- Yogadharshanam, Mysore, India (RYS with Yoga Alliance) – Hatha & Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Training
- Pranavashya, Mysore, India – Vinyasa Yoga.
- Isha Yoga, Bangalore, India – Hatha Yoga and Meditation.
- I also hold a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Durban, South Africa and a Postgraduate Diploma from Dublin, Ireland.